Thursday, January 12, 2012

A sad working day

My manager of 3 years left today, I've known him for over 6 years as I'd worked with him previously as well so it was really sad to see him go. I would like to say that he left of his own accord and while 'on paper' he did I think if you were to ask him he would have a different story and after hearing both sides I tend to see why he thinks this.  Nothing untoward might I add, he took voluntary redundancy after a re-structure saw that his job role was  no more!
Admittedly he was very old school and some would say it was his time to move on but it doesn't make it any easier to stomach in this corporate world. Once I tell you what I have got out of it you may think that me complaining about him losing his job is a bit silly but this guy has taught me a lot and I wouldn't be where I am today without him and where is that you ask? Sharing his job with another colleague, as I was just a step below him and they have removed his role but just shortened the reporting line so now I do my and his job (shared with another lady) but no wage rise though! But it all looks good on the CV and great for my development and my role may be re-banded at some point therefore more money and if not I'll give it time and may go in there with a business case as to why I should get more money!

Anyway is was a nice ish day, not much was really done in the office, oops. We had a 1 hour lunch where we all had a nice cheese and biscuit buffet then afterwards we gave him his leaving gift which I must admit was a beautiful watch which we all pitched in for along with a £50 bottle of wine (which he can't actually drink for 2 years - apparently most don't drink it and sell it 10 years later for a extra zero (£500) - guess I'm not cultured enough to get all that, I'm more of a 3 for £10 from Tescos kind of gal!).

A select few of us went for a drink after work which was intimate and nice where we all shared old work stories but it did mean that I was 3 hours late home from work so didn't get to see my little boy :-( The hubby wasn't too fussed though as it meant he got to watch the Liverpool V Man City football match while munching on pizza and drinking beer!

Well tomorrow will be interesting as colleague and I are now the new boss, let see how many boundaries will be pushed.

No comments:

Post a Comment